Robbie’s Live-Action ‘Barbie’ Movie

Come on, Barbie, let’s go party! The live-action approach to the story of iconic doll line has been a long time in the making. The Barbie movie was originally set to be rewritten by Diablo Cody with Amy Schumer in the lead role. After the writer departed from the project, Cody opened up about the complications that came with trying to bring the iteration to life.


“I never even produced an initial draft. I failed so hard at that project. I was literally incapable of writing a Barbie script. God knows I tried,” the Jennifer’s Body screenwriter told Screen Crush in 2018. “To be honest, the timeline coincided with my writing Tully. I was really overwhelmed at the time, and I think I was really only capable of reaching in and pulling out something super personal. Look, I think the idea of a Barbie movie is super f–king cool and I hope something goes in there and kills it.”


Months after Schumer’s casting was announced, the comedian also dropped out, citing scheduling conflicts. The New York native later clarified that there were creative differences that halted her participation.


“They definitely didn’t want to do it the way I wanted to do it, the only way I was interested in doing it,” Schumer told The Hollywood Reporter in March 2022, noting that she wanted the character to be an “ambitious inventor” but it was turned down.


The Last Comic Standing alum alleged that the plan was for Barbie to invent high heels made of Jell-O. “I felt like I was disappointing my team by not being Barbie,” Schumer admitted at the time. “The idea that that’s just what every woman must want, right there, I should have gone, ‘You’ve got the wrong gal.’”


Following Schumer’s exit, Margot Robbie took over the role of Barbie. Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach later joined to pen the script and work behind the camera to bring the story to life.


Ahead of production, Robbie teased during an interview with The Hollywood Reporter in 2020 that Barbie will be “the thing you didn’t know you wanted.”


Scroll down for everything to know about the upcoming live-action Barbie film:


What Can Viewers Expect?


During an interview with Vogue in August 2021, Robbie hinted that the role of Barbie “comes with a lot of baggage" and "a lot of nostalgic connections.”


“But with that come[s] a lot of exciting ways to attack it,” she shared at the time. “People generally hear Barbie and think, ‘I know what that movie is going to be,’ and then they hear that Greta Gerwig is writing and directing it, and they’re like, ‘Oh, well, maybe I don’t.’”


Everything to Know About Greta Gerwig’s ‘Barbie’ 


Life in plastic with Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling? It's fantastic. It’s a Barbie world, and we’re all just living in it.


What seems like a Mattel doll lifetime ago, Margot Robbie confirmed the “Barbie” live-action film adaptation in July 2019, with Greta Gerwig and partner Noah Baumbach co-writing the script. Gerwig was later announced to be directing the film.


The news marked the famed blonde-haired doll’s 60th anniversary.


Robbie, who will star as Barbie opposite Ryan Gosling’s Ken, is slated to produce the film through her production company LuckyChap Entertainment. Mattel Films and HeyDay Films will co-produce.


The “Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood” star admitted that the film “comes with a lot of baggage and a lot of nostalgic connections” to honor the doll’s legacy. “But with that come a lot of exciting ways to attack it,” Robbie said to British Vogue. “People generally hear ‘Barbie’ and think, ‘I know what that movie is going to be,’ and then they hear that Greta Gerwig is writing and directing it, and they’re like, ’Oh, well, maybe I don’t…’”


The Barbie franchise originally was going to make its debut on the big screen courtesy of Diablo Cody, who re-wrote former “Sex and the City” writer Jenny Bicks’ 2014 Sony script, as reported by W Magazine. Amy Schumer boarded the project in 2016, with a new script by Hillary Winston about a woman who is kicked out of “Barbie-ville” due to not meeting its standards of physical perfection. Schumer exited due to “scheduling conflicts” for her film “I Feel Pretty,” but later clarified that there were creative differences behind-the-scenes for the vision of Barbie.


“They definitely didn’t want to do it the way I wanted to do it, the only way I was interested in doing it,” Schumer told The Hollywood Reporter. Schumer wanted Barbie to be an “ambitious inventor,” but Mattel and the studio allegedly pushed back that her invention be high heels made of Jell-O.


“I felt like I was disappointing my team by not being Barbie,” Schumer recalled, adding that she was sent a pair of Manolo Blahniks to celebrate the film deal at the time. “The idea that that’s just what every woman must want, right there, I should have gone, ‘You’ve got the wrong gal.'”


By 2019, Robbie took over the new Warner Bros. production, with Gerwig and Baumbach tapped as screenwriters. While the plot is still kept under wraps, we do know the star-studded cast. Robbie also teased to The Hollywood Reporter that “Barbie” will be “the thing you didn’t know you wanted.”


And “Barbie” is already setting a new precedent for adaptations: Mattel and MGM confirmed in June 2021 that Lena Dunham was writing and directing a Polly Pocket movie with Lily Collins in the lead role and serving as a producer.


“Polly Pocket was responsible for countless hours of childhood escapism for me — Polly gave me a tiny world of magic and autonomy to narrate, so it’s pretty poetic to be tackling these same ideas now as a director collaborating with the brilliant Lily Collins, Robbie Brenner, Mattel and MGM,” Dunham said, via Deadline. “I’m so thrilled to bring to bear both my love of this historic property and also my deep-seated belief that young women need smart playful films that speak to them without condescension.”

Source:

Ananda Streaming ITA

Eddie e Sunny Streaming ITA

Parigi, 13 Arr. Streaming ITA

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=masteng.l-altro-buio-in-sala-streaming

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kim Go Eun, Nam Ji Hyun, More Radiate Sophistication in New ‘Little Women' Poster

Alien & Blade Runner's Discussed World Was actually Covertly Affirmed in The 1990s

Reds Legend On Importance Of EFL Cup Final